Sunday, April 24, 2011

Inner (Re) engineering

"Do you know what you want from life?"

When a question is posed by a man with orange robes and dancing eyes, the word 'no' tumbles out spontaneously.

"See, many people say I want this job or that house or this much money... but then what?"

Then what is the reason we are standing at the entrance of the Dhyanalinga temple at the Isha Yoga Ashram near Coimbatore. Swami Patanga is our 'guide'. And he must have repeated these very same words a hundred times before, but he is so involved and animated.

Because each time it is an honour and a privilege, to open the door to a new seeker.

I will not play back the words, or provide a textual tour. All I can say is the experience of the Dhyanalinga is different from any other.


At this 'temple' there are no rituals, no poojas. No jostling, no queues. Dhyanalinga is a space which you enter to be with yourself, to experience the joy of a quiet mind.

They say you don't need to 'know' how to meditate. You enter Dhyanalinga and it just happens. And that is absolutely true.

In the short time I spent at the ashram I visited Dhyanlinga four different times. The first time, during the naad-aradhana, which is held twice a day. At this time, the majestic dome reverberates with an offering of sound.

People say it is one of the most beautiful experiences they have ever had. But for me, the Dhyanalinga experienced in silence was the 'real' thing. This time, I first took a dip in the Theerthakund - a reservoir of 'sacred water'.



Theerthakund is a rectangular tank embedded 30 feet deep in the earth, you walk down giant granite steps to reach it. The water is cold enough to make you go Brrrr - it will invigorate you to the core. But it's more than a religious 'swimming pool'.

Theerthakund is 'energised' by a mercury lingam (known as Rasalinga). This lingam is said to have healing properties and 'opens' you, makes you more receptive to Dhyanalinga. And kuch to hai, you can feel it.

I have never been the 'religious' type but what I have understood in the last five years is this: the true purpose of visiting a temple or a guru is 'darshan'. Darshan is not merely to 'see' but to receive energy. Energy embedded in the deity, or in the living person.

The lingam form is the purest form of energy worship.

Dhyana, in Sanskrit, essentially means meditation, and Linga means, the form. The first form is a Linga and the final form before dissolution is also a Linga. A Linga or perfect ellipsoid can be energized in various ways, to serve different purposes. It is one form that when energized becomes a perennial storehouse of energy.

Hence in very simple terms Dhyanalinga is a recharge station. You plug in and your receive. You don't have to 'do' anything, just being there is enough.

A more eloquent explanation provided by Sadhguru himself in this video:



I know that all this may sound like mumbo-jumbo to some of you but you have to experience it for yourself. The third time I entered Dhyanalinga, I sat there for an hour, feeling a sense of complete calm and wellbeing. I was connected to some Higher Power, a loving energy, The Source.

I come back, feeling different. The very first day I woke up at 5 am, feeling fresh and ready to start the day. With Isha yoga practices which I found 'boring' just a week ago.

It feels like something deep and fundamental within me has shifted.

I share this very intense and private moment with all of you, because I know *some* of you are lost and looking for 'answers'. For one brief moment, put logic aside and open your mind.

To ideas which are as old as the world itself.

To know more more visit www.ishafoundation.org

Disqus for Youth Curry - Insight on Indian Youth