Thursday, December 27, 2007

A journey within - I

I haven't been updating this blog that often. And the reason isn't work pressures or blog-fatigue. There are enough interesting things to write about - from the new Flying machine ad (isn't it a decade too late to be inspired by The Matrix?) to the Indian School of Business (Yes, I came, I saw and I am impressed!)

All that and more in due time. But as the year draws to a close and reams of newsprint are devoted to 'best of 2007 lists', I find myself in a more reflective mood. This year, for me, has been a journey... but an inward one.

And although I rarely get personal on this blog I feel the need to share this experience. So many of us, outwardly qualified, content and cruising through life are actually restless and raging inside. For no apparent reason.

Some say this is the scourge of modern life. That may well be the truth. But there are deeper and more eternal truths which I, a born skeptic, stumbled upon. And if it happened to me, it could happen to you too.

So bear with me, as I deviate into unusual territory. This is a 5 part series. If you choose to follow it, keep an open and inquiring mind. Let the journey begin..

A journey within - I
It is a mildly chilly March morning. I am at the German cafe in Rishikesh, a quaint little place which serves fantastic fluffy brown bread and coffee. And offers a great view of the Lakshman Jhula bridge.

I am the only Indian at the cafe. This is white-man-seeking-salvation haven. Elderly English ladies, youngish European lads. Most are sipping honey lemon water and discussing their progress on the path of yoga. They've been here months - some even years - and long after it was truly fashionable to be a hippie.

My mind says they're escapists - floating through life on the strength of a favourable exchange rate. But my heart feels otherwise. They could just as well be lying on a beach in Goa sipping tequilas. But they're here, on some kind of quest.

Clean as it is, there are flies buzzing around the place. Some make a landing on the honey-and-lemon-sippers legs. No one reacts. It's like this is a most natural and beautiful thing. Human beings, flies - they co exist in peace and harmony. I can't help but wonder: Are flies in Rishikesh different from flies elsewhere in the world?

Or is it just that these people are so much at peace - with themselves, and the world - that the fly ceases to bother?

And keeping with the metaphor of the fly, is it possible to be so much at peace with yourself that these 'flies' - the many irritants buzzing around in our day to day life - cease to bother??

The answer, I have discovered is 'yes'. Unlikely as it sounds at first, this is possible. And we don't need to be in Rishikesh to achieve this state (although it's certainly a very beautiful place and I would not mind spending a few months conducting lemon, honey and fly experiments @ the German Cafe in particular).

In fact, to the majority of Indians the idea of leaving home, family, job and all worldly commitments to someday achieve 'enlightenment' is laughable. Which is why an entire generation of spiritual teachers have taken it upon themsleves to create programs that fit into our world. And happen at our doorstep.

From Sri Sri Ravi Shankar to Swami Sukhbodananda, we have a wide variety of 3-5 day 'courses' designed to make us introspect, and to learn some simple techniques of meditation. The program you choose to take up generally depends on who you encounter that persuades you to 'give it a try'.

And so it was that I joined the 'Art of Living' basic course close to 5 years ago. Did it change my life? Well... it could have. I went into the course a complete non-believer and came out thinking, "haan isme kuch hai". The main takeaway from Art of Living is the 'sudarshan kriya' - a breathing technique which allows you to get into a meditative state.

The first time I did the sudarashan kriya I felt hot and feverish. Like something yuck was being released from inside me. Apparently this happens to many people.

Besides sudarshan kriya, the 'Art of Living' (aka AOL) is full of mini sermons, exercises and platitudes. But, it works. That bit reminded me of ERI (Exploring Roles and Identities) which we went through as second year students at IIMA. Taking time out of your daily routine to introspect and connect with your fellow human beings is always a cathartic experience.

The trouble is, it does not take long to get swept away by the torrent of day to day life once again. Of course, you are supposed to keep doing the kriya - and for a while I did. Then one morning you wake up late and skip, ditto the next day. And poof! You fall out of the habit and gradually forget usme koi faayda bhi tha.

The good people @ Art of Living will contact you from time to time and say,"Come for a refresher course (free of cost)... Come for satsang." But somehow I never did. So I can say the 'Art of Living' failed me... but the truth is that I failed 'Art of Living'.

The trouble is, a part of me just did not believe that this breathing in and out, shallow breaths, fast breaths, ujaya breaths etc can really make a difference.

Exactly 4 years after AOL I joined Isha Yoga. The truth is I had no idea what 'Isha Yoga' was. I was going through some inner turmoil and during this period I happened to see a poster for Isha Yoga stuck on a tree near my house. The introductory session was at 6 pm, not far away. It was 5minutes to six and for reasons I cannot fathom I rushed there.

I thought they would be teaching some yoga poses and possibly, that would be good for stress relief. Turns out Isha Yoga is very similar to Art of Living. Much of the course is talking, introspecting, fables, exercises. And of course they teach you a breathing technique called 'Shambhavi Mahamudra'.

Although in action it is different from sudarshan kriya, the ultimate result is the same. By focussing on one's breath through a precise sequence of events, you are able to rid your mind of all its chatter. And that, is a state of pure bliss.

Isha Yoga worked wonders for me. This does not mean it is 'better' than Art of Living. It is a little different in that it is more intense (they actually ask you to do 'homework' each day!). The Isha yoga 'Inner Engineering' program involves greater number of hours, and also explains some of the science behind what still sounded like spiritual mumbo-jumbo to the skeptic in me.

Lastly, they actually put up a projector and screen bits of discourses by Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, the force behind Isha Yoga and a rather charismatic personality.

However the real difference lay not in the courses, but in the person who took experienced them at two different times. Perhaps AOL was a preparation - it opened my mind to possibilities but I did not have the commitment to follow through and make it happen.

I entered Isha Yoga also without any expectations of radical or dramatic changes. And I continued to be a skeptic. But half way through the person who could not sit still in one position for more than 5 minutes began to experience physical and mental calm.

After the 'initiation', the yuck feeling which I first became conscious of during Art of Living, left me permanently. I can't describe how or what happened. All I knew was if doing this shambhavi maha mudra every morning can keep me at peace, I am going to do it.

And so I completed the 21 days of the Isha Yoga kriya. And I continue to practice it at least 5 times a week. I can feel a real difference. My mind is free of nnecessary thoughts and worries. And I don't get that easily irritated by flies - real or metaphorical.

You can choose any of these paths - or some other. The important thing, however, is to figure out what works for you and then commit yourself to doing the daily pranayam or 'kriya'. If it does not work for you, the reasons are within.

You could be closed and skeptical, or just plain lazy. Life chal rahi hai, your 15 minutes of extra sleep each morning are more important.

But it will happen, in time, if you need it and want it badly enough. So keep an open mind, keep exploring. Keep swatting those flies... Until one day, you decide, "That's enough!"

Note: I have the highest regard for Sri Sri and the Art of Living program. Please treat this as a deeply personal observation and not a declaration that 'Isha Yoga is superior'. You are welcome to share your own experience here, but let's not get into debating and defending :)

31 comments:

  1. nice to see a very deeply reflective post here on Youth Curry.I did the Art of Living's YES+ course which is tailor made for the youth.The first Kriya is definitely unique but I think that every time I do the kriya, it calms my mind very effectively.It is a wonderful process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hav heard abt. both AOL and Isha. not yet tried. For a travel freak like me I can say both AOL in Bangalore and Isha foundation's Coimbatore ashrams are very nice.

    A journey within-- Waiting for more such stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess this retrospection is very important on a regular basis to find new ways forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious. What was the inner turmoil? Could you describe it more? Was it because of something or just because?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Post Rashmi....I have linked to you post here: ishas.blogspot.com
    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So IIMers have hearts too... and they do reflect... :) Good for you.

    I think its time I too joined some turmoil control program.

    Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a really nice blog post first let me compliment u for the post well I know about Art of living its modern way to portray meditation for relaxation .....and I would recommend it to most stressed out people to calm them down .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you heard or tried Vipassana ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. its refreshing to see you getting candid about your soul-searching pursuits and sharing your experience with others.

    The Bhagavad Gita too( if understood properly) can help people to become dispassionate and more duty-bound in life. It works atleast for me.. I am out of the rat race. I am a CAT now !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting to see reflective thinking. I have heard of the school of thought if I could call them that which you have mentioned here..but never got the chance to experiment, but as you say..life takes over..which is why I guess I dont take time out to swat or co-exist with any flies..its sad. Nice entry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try Dynamic and Whirling meditation too.....from an unusual Master...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its a good information...

    ReplyDelete
  13. so far this was the best read abt the concept; i did know abt AOL, but this was a new way of looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rashmi,
    It is a real joy when a "skeptic" confirms that the program "works". Not that others are less relevant, but this is the acid test. But even so, an open mind (at least a little) is a prerequisite. Glad to know Shambhavi is working for you and hope you continue to keep this up. Fly watching will be interesting when they are not on your nose :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Taking time out of your daily routine to introspect and connect with your fellow human beings is always a cathartic experience."
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi nice to see a very deeply reflective post here on Youth Curry A journey within-- Waiting for more such stories

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rashmi,
    I belive each therapy of yoga, AOL, relaxation, meditation...by whatever name you call them has its benefcial effects...what really matters is that you should take up any of these with a open heart, without any preoccupations in your mind and with confidence and belief in your mind that you are doing it for your well being !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to see a deeper blog than B Schools ratings :)).. or is it that my being on the wrong side of 30 disqualifies me as your target audience.. anyhoo, great post!!

    Though, I have never seriously practiced the famous yoga / meditation bit.. however, there is another way for the journeys deep within.. endurance, non-competitive, individual sports such as mountaineering or very long distance running.. I have been exposed to these..

    When one is running for longer than 3-4 hrs without a challenge, alone, in some valley.. there is no better time for deep reflection and total internal calm.. once a human being crosses the threshold of physical pain, the senses become wide awake.. and the pleasure exceeds any other sensation (yes, it is better than the feeling with which many readers are comparing it at this instant)

    some great accounts of such sports are mentioned in Dean Karnazes' "The Ultra Marathon Man"... Also Arnie Schwarznegger touches on this in his famous "Enclycopaedia of modern body building"

    A side effect of such pursuits is pink of health, best shape that one can be and sustained exhilaration throughout the day..

    Admittedly, such sports are for people who can endure till they cross the pain threshold.. typically, people who already are in decent shape.. however I assume that a significant portion of your readers are quite young.. these readers can think about this other journey deep within..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice post there,I just read what I went through to some extent..Last week I did Vipassana Meditation and it opened up new dimensions. Check out if interested!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like your blog- have to check on it more often. If you are interested in GeneralFinance's credits search for General Finance ContactCenter. zz

    ReplyDelete
  21. ISB!
    would have appreciated if you had mentioned why you were there..

    AOL is like Rakhi Sawant..
    some love it, some hate it.
    but everybody seems to be having an opinion on it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hello

    i am new to blogger i like ur blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rashmi,

    ur post cracked me up. I think the way you laid the plot of a skeptic in a AOL scene.. I could picture scene in front of my eyes.

    As ABCD mentioned , sports have a benefit that can help clear the mind and stay positively focussed. Be it high endurance or 30 mins on the threadmill.. It has its benefits.

    Would it be considered soul searching .. may be , if you consider breathing exercises to be soul searching . On a 4 - 6 hour run , after the first 2 hours , u have gotten used to the solitude and the only thing u hear is ur heartbeat. U reflect inwards. the next 2 - 4 hours is too short a time to find answers. The same applies with the breathing exercises. Its a good start . May be we like the foreigners u saw some day will go to timbuktoo and become one with the flies ;) in search of answers:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This post came straight from the heart. I hope you keep at all the yoga.

    There are unbelievable gems hidden in our centuries old tomes. Funny thing is, most exercise/yoga is most importantly about using your breath properly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Rashmi,
    I just had the Shambhavi Mahamudra initiation today. I must say, it is an unworldly experience. I am mentally a very rigid person . The skeptic that I am, I wouldn't have bet on myself saying this today at the beginning of the course.
    I couldn't fell my hands after it was over. Not sure if it was numbness or just a whole new frequency of vibration. I was definitely trembling. I came home and did it again and I felt such beautiful relaxation and calmness, that now I'm getting a headache thinking about it ever since!!!
    I have a few more days to go but I've already fallen in love with it and I can't wait to go a read everything about SathGuru.
    I had the near same experience that you did and I concur with everything you had to say about it.Anyways.. I think your post is definitely an incentive for me to get up tomorrow morning and do it again!
    THANK YOU!!
    -Vivek-

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi,

    Have been following your blog for a long time. I guess this is just the second time I am posting a comment, though.

    It seems you like adventures... Have you heard or tried The Landmark Forum? Based on your writing... I think you would love the adventure... it transformed my life.

    Don't worry about comparing it with Vipassana, AOL or anything else. It does not overlap with them, since it is not about any kind of meditation or yoga. It is a self-enquiry self-educational program.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous8:01 AM

    明星代言 明星经纪公司
    制动单元 铝壳电阻
    modern abstract art sofa manufacturer
    净水器 开水器 净水机 净水 软水机 软水 直饮机 家用净水 家用净水器 家用净水机 中央净水 中央净水器 水家装 水家电 水卫士 混合机
    过滤机 DHL快递 俄罗斯签证 回转支承 Laser marking
    保险箱 法兰 法兰标准
    polycarbonate sheet 回流焊 波峰焊
    压球机 注册上海公司 儿童摄影
    牛皮癣 皮肤病 制氮机
    食堂售餐机 校园一卡通
    学校一卡通 ic卡售饭机
    食堂售饭机 深圳一卡通
    广东售饭机 机电设备安装
    北京发票 代开发票
    餐饮发票 住宿发票
    广告发票
    网络电话 免费网络电话
    假发 补发
    织发 植发
    压滤机 板框压滤机
    蒸馏水机 纯蒸气发生器
    上海搬家公司 上海搬场公司
    大众搬家 大众搬场
    张家界旅游 香港旅游
    深圳旅行社 打包机
    收缩机 对讲机 电源模块
    血管栓塞剂
    售饭机 水控机 水控器
    萎缩性胃炎 neoprene laptop bags
    SEO优化
    SEO优化 计量泵
    胃炎 胃病
    冷水机 冰水机
    工业冷水机
    北京特价机票 北京打折计票 北京国际机票
    北京机票预定 北京飞机票
    北京订机票 北京机票查询 饮料机械
    银杏 水培花卉 企业宣传片 空分设备
    化工泵 离心机
    电话交换机 程控交换机 集团电话 集装袋
    混合机 混合机
    混合机捏合机 捏合机
    捏合机导热油炉 导热油炉
    导热油炉 反应釜 反应釜
    反应釜 spherical roller bearing
    搬运车 搬运车 电动搬运车 油桶搬运车 堆高车 电动堆高车 半电动堆高车 堆垛车
    高空作业平台车 电动叉车 平衡重叉车 前移叉车 电瓶叉车
    韩国饰品批发 模块电源
    X架 超薄灯箱> 易拉宝 展柜制作
    代理服务器 游戏加速器 网络加速器
    网通加速器 电信加速器 电信网通转换器
    电信网通加速器 网通电信互转
    网通电信互通 网络游戏加速器
    美国VPN代理 美国独享VPN 美国独享IP
    pvc ceiling panel Spherical roller bearings
    SEO优化
    安全鞋 劳保鞋 防砸鞋 电绝缘鞋 上海安全鞋 上海劳保鞋 江苏劳保鞋
    服装软件 服装管理软件 进销存软件
    进销存管理软件 服装管理系统 服装进销存软件
    进销存系统 进销存管理系统 免费进销存软件
    吉林中医 东北特产
    打包机
    阳痿 阴茎短小 阴茎增大
    早泄 前列腺炎 阴茎增粗 阴茎延长
    国际机票 上海国际机票
    国际特价机票 国际打折机票
    砂磨机 砂磨机
    砂磨机 卧式砂磨机
    卧式砂磨机 卧式砂磨机
    三辊研磨机 三辊研磨机
    三辊研磨机 混合机 混合机
    混合机 锥形混合机 锥形混合机 锥形混合机 行星动力混合机 行星动力混合机 行星动力混合机 无重力混合机 无重力混合机 无重力混合机
    干粉砂浆设备 干粉砂浆设备
    干粉砂浆设备 捏合机 捏合机 捏合机 导热油炉 导热油炉 导热油炉 反应釜 反应釜 反应釜 搪玻璃反应釜 搪玻璃反应釜 搪玻璃反应釜
    乳化机 涂料设备 干混砂浆设备 无重力混合机 胶体磨 涂料成套设备 双螺旋混合机
    北京婚庆 北京婚庆公司
    400电话
    办证 呼吸机 制氧机
    亚都 亚都加湿器 亚都净化器
    亚都装修卫士
    饰品批发 小饰品批发 韩国饰品 韩国饰品批发 premature ejaculation penis enlargement
    安利产品 马来西亚留学
    网站优化 网站推广
    衬布
    代写论文
    代写论文
    论文代写 代写论文
    磁力泵
    离心泵
    化工泵
    隔膜泵
    螺杆泵
    潜水泵
    油泵
    耐腐蚀泵
    水泵
    拖链 防护罩 排屑机 塑料拖链 钢铝拖链
    化工离心泵
    计量加油泵
    自吸式离心泵
    管道油泵
    自吸式排污泵
    潜水排污泵
    自吸式磁力泵
    耐高温磁力泵
    不锈钢多级离心泵
    多级离心泵
    耐腐蚀自吸泵
    自吸化工泵
    玻璃钢液下泵
    液下式排污泵
    卧式离心清水泵
    氟塑料磁力泵
    磁力驱动循环泵
    耐腐蚀污水泵
    卧式化工离心泵
    玻璃钢耐酸泵
    防爆管道油泵
    不锈钢多级泵
    立式多级离心泵
    塑料磁力泵
    水泵厂
    手摇油泵
    上海水泵厂
    上海水泵
    离心泵厂家
    热水泵
    清水泵
    气动隔膜泵
    深圳装饰 深圳装饰公司 深圳装修公司
    特价机票 打折机票 国际机票
    机票
    新风换气机 换气机 立式新风换气机 风机箱 新风系统 能量回收机
    搅拌机 混合机 乳化机
    分散机
    毛刷 毛刷辊 工业毛刷 刷子 钢丝刷
    涂层测厚仪 硬度计
    兆欧表 激光测距仪
    测振仪 转速表
    温湿度计 风速仪
    超声波测厚仪
    粗糙度仪
    噪音计 红外测温仪
    万用表
    硬度计 万用表
    美容院 美容加盟
    澳洲留学 澳大利亚留学
    什么是法兰
    电烤箱
    酒店预定 北京酒店预定 北京酒店
    离心机
    nail equipment nail products nail product nail uv lamp nail uv lamp nail uv lamps uv nail lamp nail brush
    nail file nail tool nail tip nail gel curing uv lamps lights
    万用表 风速仪
    红外测温仪 噪音计
    苗木价格 苗木信息 标牌制作 深圳标牌 北京儿童摄影 防静电鞋 淘宝刷信誉
    威海凤凰湖 威海海景房 大庆密封件
    打标机 淘宝刷信誉 TESOL/TEFL国际英语教师证书 英语教师进修及培训 北京快递公司 北京国际快递

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous6:48 PM

    及时快捷为人类的交流创造更宽松的环境。跨世纪的服务历程,已为多家企业提供过翻译帮助,翻译公司译佰翻译公司能提供同传深圳德语翻译深圳俄语翻译深圳韩语翻译等数种同传语言,培养一批商务口译积累了丰富的经验,我们期待能为更多的企业服务。、上海翻译公司,东莞翻译公司质美价优、是我们的服务宗旨。同声传译让每一位客户满意是我们服务的标准。
    同声传译设备能提供从专业同传设备安装租售业务等一整

    套国际会议同传服务,深圳翻译公司,专业深圳英语翻译 深圳日语翻译深圳法语翻译
    全球一体化进程现正加速同声传译,同声传译设备,业的翻译公司,知名深圳翻译公司中国已加入世贸,语言不应成为国人与世界交流的障碍,同声传译我们致力于消除这一屏障,
    翻译准确、广州翻译公司

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Youth Curry - Insight on Indian Youth