Monday, May 23, 2005

Kabhi khushi, kabhi birthday

Hum bhi agar bachche hote
Hum bhi agar bachche hote
Naam hamara hota Taplu Paplu
Khaane ko milte laddoo
Aur duniya kehti
"Happy Birthday to you"


There is a time in life when you live for your next birthday. My 5 year old daughter is in that mode. She is already excited about her 'big day', which is currently 3 months away!

This 'I-wish-I -could-grow-up-as-soon-as-possible' phase generally lasts till you're 16, or 18, or 21 - depending on whether you find being grown up a pleasant role or unpleasant responsibility. At the very outer limit, most people enjoy and look forward to their birthday until they turn 25.

After that comes a phase from 25-30 in which every advancing year brings with it a sense of foreboding. The latest teen pop sensation or upset winner at Wimbledon is a full decade younger... And where are you??

You start getting those cheeky cards reminding you to forget about your advancing age. Opticians and acquaintances on ryze network remember your birthday while your childhood friends - now living continents away- suffer from amnesia.

You don't feel like celebrating really - what is there to be happy about? But a bunch of people will call to wish you and there has to be an answer to the question: "So what's the plan for the big day?"

Finally, the 'worm turns' when you actually hit 30. You realise things are not so bad after all. In fact, you have less pimples than you did at 16 - and now have the means to undergo expensive 'skin glow' treatments, if that is still a bother.

Taking a leaf from Karan Johar's book I'd say "it's all about loving yourself". And for me at least that happened after the big Three O. The feeling of being comfortable in my own skin. Of being able to trust my own instincts. Of listening to what others have to say but not being bound by their approval.

Would not trade that to be 'sweet (and confused) 16 again'!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:45 PM

    In my opinion this is the best write-up of yours.

    Till I was 16/18 I always wanted to grow up quickly earn and get all that I want....

    My brother used to do exactly like what you have told about your daughter.He used to plan where to go for his B'day what to buy etc nearly 4/6 months before it...

    Now I am 24 and already feeling that life is so boring.

    Till 18/20 was the best part of life.Nowadays there's nothing special about the B'day.

    --SK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through something like a mid-life crisis when I was 16...Does that mean I'm going to die in my 30s?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting one I should add.
    It speaks in volumes about what the day means to each one of us at every point in life.
    Remember when most of us do store and record as to who wished and who didn't, who was sorry that he forgot and who wasn't ? All this curiousity arises in everyone's mind.
    Once ur old, it so happens that you wish that your best pals still remember and wish, your children remember the day and make it special, etc. Don't u think so?
    Everyone lives for his birthday, though its actually on record decreasing an year of his total life mathematically !

    ReplyDelete
  4. though its actually on record decreasing an year of his total life mathematically !


    Dude! What would you do with an year if not live it? Would you rather orbit earth, frozen, travelling at speeds nearing c? Duh!

    Rashmi: Nice write up. I still look ahead to my birthdays. Infact I celebrate twice an year (official/real funda). But as you grow old, gifts get so damn predictible! It's always a book! tchaah .. I used to like those Leo Toy guns so much! That could be one reason grown ups aren't really eager for their b'days. My theory of diminishing gifts :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could and would consider doing that. Ah, space travel would be a fantasy..

    @Rashmi - Anonymous comments are still working, fix them up!. you pssobly have to republish the whole blog once and things will be fixed after u change the setting.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Youth Curry - Insight on Indian Youth