Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Happy Blog Birthday

Youthcurry is now one year old. Well, technically 1 year and 4 days old so this post comes slightly late. But a milestone is a milestone, and a good time to stop and reflect. So, here are some reflections.

Why I started blogging
The question is: why didn't I start blogging earlier! Well, the answer is the few blogs I had come across were typical personal journals with illuminating entries like: "I ate X for breakfast and Y for lunch".

Why would I want to start sharing information like that with total strangers?

Well, gradually I realised blogging did not mean 'pathetic personal journal'. I was especially intrigued by the idea of using a blog to organise my thoughts on a 'specific' subject.

"Write on a subject you truly love - or something you are an expert in" was the advice all 'how to start blogging' tutorials had to offer. So I chose 'youth'. I mean sure I had studied economics and once attended a wine tasting but I certainly could not pass off as an 'expert' in those subjects!

Besides, youth was:
a) related to my line of work; making blogging feel less like timepass and more like a professional activity
b) a wonderfully broad area of expertise!!

The first post was the *most* difficult of all. I simply could not figure out where to start. Then, I chanced upon a report on Indian youth in Brand Equity which declared:""Gen Y is passe, say hello to the iGeneration or as they prefer to be known, iGen". Yeah right, I said to myself - and was stirred into writing this in response.

There has been no looking back since.

Writing is a discipline
And blogging is a tool that helps enforce it! You see everyday I would have several ideas, barely 1% of them ever got written as articles. In one year of Youthcurry, 245 such ideas were actually converted into blogposts. Which is amazing!

The other thing about blogging is that when you get a thought you can simply put it down, without agonising over the opening sentence, the word limit, whether it fits into a certain publication.

In effect you write with a more 'karmayoga' kind of attitude. Without worrying about the final result. Or whether you will be able to find and refer to this piece of writing 3 months from now....Because that 'labelling' and 'filing' is something that naturally occurs.

Comments or no comments?

When I started Youthcurry I decided to allow feedback - but not to reply. Replying, I felt took energy away from writing. Many commenters therefore dubbed be a 'blogsnob'.

Well, later I did change my view on that although I still don't reply to each and every comment. But I do read them all and note the feedback.

In fact feedback has, on more than one occassion helped me to polish up a blogpiece with additional perspective and/or facts before it's published in the mainstream. So you could say I sometimes use my blog to 'test market' my writing!

The good, the bad and the ugly
Blogging also brought me into contact with hundreds of strangers - most of them nice, decent, rational human beings. But there were also the anonymice who left comments of a distasteful and personal nature. So I stopped anonymous comments.

Then IIPM happened. I learn that there are some people who will stoop to any level . But, there are others who will stand up for what is right. Even though they are in no way connected, nor do they stand to benefit. And that re-affirmed my basic faith in human nature!

A birthday gift!
Youthcurry was featured in the January edition of Fast Company magazine. Feels cool to be one of the three Indian business-related blogs taken note of.

What's more this blog recently crossed 225,000 visits!! I am humbled and honoured... And happy! That my writing could reach out to so many of you; and bring you back for more

Thank you, all! For stirring up Youthcurry; for dropping by to taste it. For helping to bring it to boil. Looking forward to more spice and sizzle in the year to come!

33 comments:

  1. congrats! have enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Way to go! Best of Luck!

    A lot can happen in a year, especially when people keep it real, as u have done!

    I wish u a Happy Blogday!

    Anand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy BlogDay Rashmi!!!

    Been a reader of JAM for the past 5 years but never subscribed to it nor ever wrote directly ti it..But still liked it to keep it buying every fortnight..

    and now like your take on views in your blogs..read a couple of times in JAM about you lamenting the fact that you were not writing as much you want to or you thought you would do..So this blog provides you with the right oppurtunity to do so...

    Congrats once again!!!

    Cheers,
    HP

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been an absolute pleasure to read your writings .Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday YouthCurry. And congrats Rashmi. I would wish to read more thought-provoking blogs from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rashmi, A very happy birthday to Youthcurry. Wish you success in all the future writings. I hope the count of blogs in next year be 365. Best Regards,
    L A L I T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rashmi,

    Congratulations! Have been a regular visitor to your blog, though haven't posted a comment that often.

    You do write well and more so, on issues which are thought provoking.

    Keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ! Rashmi

    I have been reading your blog only recently and find it very refreshing activity.

    Congratulations. May you climb more intellectual heights in the days to come.

    Carry on.

    -Aks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rashmi,

    Greetings on completing a year of posting. I had accidently ventured to your post and hence been a regular reader... Some posts have been very forthright & highly incisive.. some very banal but overall a job done very well.

    Also noticed that some of posts were outright extensions of "Mumbai Mirror" articles. Psuedo PR or Emotional attachment for the First Employer :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rashmi,

    I have always loved your writings on Rediff.com.

    I had also gone by chance on a article about facing the interview panel in IIM's.

    and thanks to you, i also have my own bolg ( I had to create it before posting this comment).

    Looking forward for great writings from your side.
    At a time, when the likes of 'Neal and Nikki' claim to represent the yout, you are such a refreshing change!!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A confession: I was amongst the first ones here to suggest that you get Google Adwords. And I might have also been amongst the first ones to AdBlock them (thanks firefox!!)
    Happy B'day

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings & luck rashmi.
    wouldn't say more... except for a thanks for ur thot provoking posts. though once in a while some mundane topic shows up but then to everyone his/her own. All in all yours is one of those few blogs I cannot do without :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey rashmi;
    congrats...and please keep it going....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Blog Birthday.
    Your blog is one of the must reads for me...Everyday first thing in the morning I check the newspaper and then your blog.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations. Its not just one year of having a blog. Many people may have blog for much more time. But, you get the response because you write regularly. You write bravely. And people loved what you wrote! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. enjoyed each n every post :-)
    thanks for sharing soo much information.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Rashmi. I was introduced to this blog a few months back and I am so greatful to my friend for this. I read your blog like a daily newspaper and the issues that you blog are quite an eye opener for me.
    Happy Birthday Youthcurry

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey rashmi, your link to the article linked by the word 'this' leads to nowhere! It says Blogger 404 not found!..Please insert the correct link!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Rashmi,
    I have read most of the posts, though I don't agree with your view on some of the issues, I like the flow.The style is very effective.Keep them coming...

    ReplyDelete
  20. My Best Wishes Rashmi!
    Your writings make a lot of sense and give insights into what is really happening in the market! We expect you to write as much as you can! Forget the nasty commenters, and write more for us!!
    Rgds,
    Venkat

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rashmi,
    Happy Blog B'day. I read your blogs and they are inspiring and I connect most of your blogs.True to the name its a real curry for the youth and without the ingredients(i.e the ideas/opinions/topics u talk about)the final dish that the youth enjoys is incomplete.
    Shine on and keep blogging. I am also a big fan of ur blogs and thats the reason I often mail you and seek your suggestions to improve my blogging skills.
    Rgds,
    tanay

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy birthday to youthcurry, and congratulations for the mention in fastcompany. Its been a pleasure reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi
    happy b'day to youthcurry
    it's a pleasure to read your blogs...
    gaurav

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous7:28 PM

    Hey you have redefined Blogging for a thought.... Many many happy returns of the day... Happy Posting !!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. congrats rashmi...
    i know how it feels - i just completed 100 posts on my photoblog n i recieved many congrats n thats what makes me feel good n rather inspires.. [did u have a look ? :P]
    keep posted anyways - its always enlightening to read here !

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats Rashmi .. have not been a regular but definitely a big fan of yours .. keep blogging .. via your anniversary am getting inspired to get some focus on my own blogs

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats Rashmi for the great curry you have been serving us all for the last one year!
    Keep going. Believe me, blogs like yours are big hope for us. looking forward to more blogging from you.
    yeah one request though- post atleast one blog a day :)

    ali

    ReplyDelete
  29. way to go Rashmi...you are the Best Blogger around...you writing is "enchanting"...lucid & tempts ppl to come back for more every single day...Hope Youth Curry goes on forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. hey
    happy b'day YOUTH CURRY

    Its been a pleasur to read a blog lk this. And it is kool to know that u started ur blog on similar lines lk me. Hey another bit o coincidence is that i planned to start bloggin with a neal n nikki article on its 'wannabe-ness' but sadly cudnt as u had just posted on it a day before n i cudnt have thought of competing with a fav blogger(and also bein a JAMer :))

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wishes for the first Anniversary of ur blog. I like to read ur blog and its like checking my mails or share prices everyday. Why not make this as Youth Curry 2 an online magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you, all! For stirring up Youthcurry; for dropping by to taste it. For helping to bring it to boil. Looking forward to more spice and sizzle in the year to come!

    ur welcome! :P lol
    its amazing that you have managed to consistently fill up your blog for one year..how much time per day do u devote to blogging?
    iam guessin for u blogging is a big deal..or maybe has become a big deal.Your consistency is prolly coz u really enjoy writing!Even though reading urs and other blogs inspires me to fill up on my blog,it is so tough to devote so mch time in already cramped schedule!
    Kudos! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Youth Curry - Insight on Indian Youth