Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Look back in hunger

There is a song in the 'Sound of Music' which goes like..."Somewhere in my youth, or childhood... I must have done something good!"

The lines popped into my head as I read the piece Saaz Aggarwal wrote in this week's Sunday Mid-day on my book 'Stay Hungry Stay Foolish'. I was blown away to know that she remembers me from the days when I visited newspaper offices as a student, a freelance writer hungry for my next byline.

Reading that piece I felt like not just my book, but my life had been reviewed. It's like... things are meant to happen in a certain time and space sequence. Nothing is for nothing. Even if it makes no sense - even to you -at a particular point in time.

And as Malcolm Gladwell says in The Outliers, it truly is about putting in your 10,000 hours in a particular career - before you 'make it'.

Will elaborate more on that in a future blog post, but here's a scan of the review as it appeared (click to enlarge). For some reason I can't find it on the Midday website :(


Thank you, Saaz for understanding the spirit behind the book. For silently cheering me on, and writing it all so beautifully! This was a 'blast from the past' which truly made me day!

10 comments:

  1. Sahi hai!

    Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very insightful book written with the joy and energy that rashmi here carries......wonderful book...cheerioo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finished reading this book couple of days back and from it only i landed up on this blog. Really good and different book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a very old follower of this blog, but was not planning to "invest" in this book ... but after reading the review thinking to give it a shot.

    Also, I guess I am a bit surprised if "traffic light books" has indeed become one industry standard for "hot or not".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been following your blog for a very long time, and I really like your style. It made me buy the book 'Stay Hungry Stay Foolish'. And I must say it is a great book. Please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya same as Druva i was follower of your Blog But not of book now i think i should give one chance to read it .

    Happy Bloging!
    http://tandooribrain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a nice book.
    An eye-opener for people like me who always thought that life after IIM ended just one way- working for Mckinsey, Citi or others of their brethren.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finished reading this book couple of days back and from it only i landed up on this blog.
    Astaga.com Lifestyle on the Net
    Astaga.com Lifestyle on the Net

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Youth Curry - Insight on Indian Youth